Can I set links to existing records using Related Lists?

When I add a related list, I can create new linked records, but I can’t find a way to select existing records to link to. Is there a way to do this???
Thanks!
-Donald

1 Like

Hi @Donald_Newlands

You should be able to do this via the link field in the record itself rather than via the related list.

Hope that makes sense, if you need further assistance let me know.

Thanks for your reply, but that’s disappointing. It doesn’t make sense to me that we should need a linked records field and a related list in the same layout or that the “add records” button in the list section wouldn’t also be able to link existing records.

The simplicity of related lists and their ability to un-muddle our Airtable views is one of the big features drawing me to Stacker, but if we still have to endure endless link fields in our forms it really defeats the purpose for us.

-Donald

You can also create links in Stacker itself.

More information in our help docs.

Thanks - I’m just talking about linking individual records and why it seems odd to me that that functionality is missing from the related records list.

I just found this feature request item, marked “complete”, that matches my question:

Why is this marked complete? (Or, so how do we use the feature?)

Please can you send through details of your app giving an example of what it is you are trying to achieve to support@stackerhq.com.

One of the team can then best answer and help with the issue as it’s difficult without context from your app.

Hi,

I did try to explain this through emails to support. I would like to repeat it here to get community input on the the issue and hopefully to get more of a response from Stacker.

With the Linked Records field, I can make links to related records in other tables, but it’s not a very good way to list related records. With the Related Records list, I have a great way to list linked records, and a feature that allows me to make new linked records, but the Related Records list does not have a way to create new links to existing records.

This is a huge issue for us because our main use case for Stacker is to develop a better interface for managing relationships in our Airtable data.

The Linked Records field is clunky because it expands with every record linked (unlike Airtable) and it forces us to scroll through our forms (very bad). Related Records List is a thing of beauty because it lets us read content in those related records, but sadly is missing a simple feature to link existing records. With a better Related Records list, we would not need to use the Linked Records field.

Thanks!

-Donald Newlands

Hi @Donald_Newlands

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass this onto the product team.